Wednesday 24 March 2010

Braid Centre, Ballymena

Nelson McCausland and David McCallion

I was in Ballymena today and visited the Baid Museum and Arts Centre to see the museum and also to visit the temporary exhibition by The War Years Remembered.

The curator, Jayne Clarke, gave me a tour of the building nut there was only a short time to see the permanent exhibition.  However I hope to return fairly soon, possible some Saturday afternoon when I can talk my wife into shopping in Ballymena and I can then escape to the museum.

The temporary exhibition is a magnificent collection of artefacts and memorabilia from both The Great War and the Second World War.  They explain something of life on the battlefields and also at home.  David McCallion really brings the story to life and he deserves great credit for his dedication, comitment and knowledge.  This exhibition is well worth a visit and I understand it will be coming in the near future to two venues in North and West Belfast - Grove Bowling Pavilion in the Grove Park off York Road (the entrance is a short distance before you reach the Grove Health and Wellbeing Centre, when coming out of town) and the Spectrum Centre on the Shankill Road.  The exhibition in the Grove Pavilion runs from 3 to 8 May. You can find out more about them at http://www.waryearsremembered.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment